The area is known to have been populated since the paleolithic era due to the discovery of a cave settlement near the town of Postojna called Betal Rock Shelter. The town lies on the Pivka River. Written sources first mention the settlement in the 13th century and in 1432 it became a borough. It was proclaimed a town in 1909.From the late Middle Ages, it was part of the Duchy of Carniola and hence of the Habsburg Monarchy. It was under Italian rule between 1918 and 1943 (nominally to 1947) and was part of the province of Trieste as Postumia.
The Municipality of Postojna encompasses 40 settlements and covers 270 km2. Approximetaly 15,600 inhabitants live in the area of the municipality. The center is the town of Postojna, which is also home to the administrative unit. The municipality is part of the Notranjsko-Kraška (Inner-Karst) statistical region, in the southwestern part of Slovenia, and represents the area where the costal and continental parts of Slovenia meet. Postojna is in many ways marked by its unique position, which had a significant influence on the town´s development as early as ancient times – the Postojna Gate has been the most favourable natural passage between the Mediterranean an Central Europe in the eastern margin of the Alps. The municipality is situated along the river basin of Lower Pivka, where flysch rock gradually gives place to limestone. The wooded Hrušica karst plateau and part of the karst field of the Planina Polje make up the north of the municipality. The central part consist of the Postojna basin, which ends under the Nanos karst plateau in the west, while Javorniki hills are in the southwestern part of the municipality.
HOW TO GET HERE
(N45° 46´ 30˝and E14° 12´ 47˝)
From the motorway, Postojna is accessible in several ways: via the exit Postojna (41): from the direction Ljubljana – Koper (A1); from the direction Sežana – Italy (E61 joins A1 at Gabrk), from the direction Nova Gorica – Italy by the express road (to the toll station Nanos by H4, the by the motorway A1 in the direction of Ljubljana). By the regional road from the direction of Ljubljana (R2-409), from Nova Gorica (first R2–444 we continue to R2-409), from Sežana (first R2-445 we continue to R2-409), from Koper (R2-409) and from the direction of Ilirska Bistrica by the main road (G1-6).
The railway station Postojna is located approximately 1 km from the tonw center. The arrival by train is possible from the directions of Ljubljana (and Austria), Ilirska Bistrica (and Croatia), Divača, Koper and Sežana (and Italy).
The main bus station is located near the town center. Bus connections link Postojna to bigger Slovenian towns and neighbouring municipalities. There are also some regular connections within the municipality.
The airport of Postojna (local people mostly call it the airport of Rakitnik) is located around 3 km south-west from Postojna. It is intended for sport and tourist airplanes with the total weight not exceeding 5,700 kg. Airplanes belonging to th EU member states can land at the airport, but it is necessary to make a prior landing at an international airport (Ljubljana, Maribor or Portorož) and only after announcing the flight and gaining permission is it possible to land in Postojna (Rakitnik).
BOOK YOUR POSTOJNA HOTEL BEST PRICE GUARANTEE !!!
Town square in Postojna
The central square in Postojna (Titov trg square) represents the center of the city’s throb. This is the location where the majority of public events, concerts, shows and other events take place. It is surrounded by many important institutions and buildings. It is also the location of the seat of the Karst Research Institute – ZRC SAZU, whic is the central institution for studying and exploring karst and its phenomena. The most modern hotel in town, numerous bars, pastry shops, restaurants, a tourist agency, a post office, several banks and savings banks are also situated on the Titov trg square or in its immediate vicinity.
On the town square, you can also find a sculpture of the human fish (Proteus) that features metal plates marking the most important milestones in terms of the development and history of Postojna. The human fish carries a special meaning for Postojna, which is why it is also depicted on the town’s coat-of-arms.
Not far away we find the Church of ST. Stephen, built in the second half of the 18th century. Next to the church is the parish house, which is also the seat of the Postojna’s curacy and deanery.
The town park is also close to the town square. Inside, there are new information boards, which take us through all the local communities of the municipality. A curios visitor can get to know local attractions and peculiarities in detail. Increasingly, the town park is the scene of public events, workshops and markets, while the youngest can test their motor skills and enjoy in playing on different playground equipment.
BOOK YOUR ROOM NOW
Majlont is the old town center of Postojna, located under the Sovič hill, where the Adelsberg Castle stood until the 18th century. It can be recognized by its narrow treets and tightly-packed buildings. Troughout history, the town center was repeatedly destroyed by fires due to the manner of building and construction, but reconstruced each time. Majlont was fully reconstructed between 2011 and 2012. Despite the renovation, the old city centre has kept the mark of the picturesque and diverse part of Postojna. The locals still know where the so-called Borojević path runs – it is where the Austro-Hungarian marshal supposedly walked daily to the Sovič hill when he was stationed in Postojna. The locals say that every house and every street in Majlont has its own story – listen them.
Source: Green Karst